The question of Jesus Second Advent has always fascinated Christians and for good reason. In Christian theology the eschaton is the final stage of human history; Jesus return brings about the end of this age. With Christ return comes a final triumph of good over evil, but this raises the inevitable question; when will Jesus return? Various individuals and groups have sought to determine the exact time of Jesus return. Complex chronologies and dubious hermeneutics have resulted in many failed predictions. The 19th century is awash with such failures.
The eschatological system known as premillennialism has often fueled the fire in this Holy Grail search for Jesus return. Premillennialism teaches that at Jesus return he will cleanse the earth of wickedness and usher in a 1000-year reign of righteousness (Rev. 20).
It is this additional element, namely the millennial kingdom, that is of particular interest to myself. Having once been involved in a millennialist religion I am passionate about researching the historical and theological development of 19th century pseudo-christian millennialist groups.
Behind the doctrines of each movement lies a specific hermeneutic. Sadly there is a dearth of academic research in this area – for certain a knowledge gap exists. In response to this lack my determination is not only to expand hermeneutical research but to offer specialist teaching to both the academy and wider church.
Lectures for consideration include:
- Millenarianism of the 19th Century
- Millerism and the Great Disappointment
- Adventist eschatology – Historicism and Prophecy
- The Rise of Seventh Day Adventism
- Jesus Second Advent – 200 years of failed predictions
- Charles Taze Russell & the Bible Students
- The Hermeneutics of the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society 1874 – 1935
- Armageddon imminent – A sociological analysis – from 1844 to Waco
- There is no devil – examining Christadelphian doctrine
- Joseph Smith and Mormonism
- A critique of the Watchtower “Faithful and Discreet Slave” doctrine
If any of these lecture titles are of interest, please do contact me / book a visit